Traditional Moroccan Food
Learn to Cook or Discover the Cuisine
So we are listing some authentic experiences on this page for you to try. Worry not about squeezing that Tajine into your hand luggage, you can pick some really nice ones up online these days, cheaper than paying excess baggage charges at the airport ! Get in touch if you want some help on finding the best Tajines online.
Cooking with Berber Tribes in the Hills of Essaouira
This day out starts with a visit to the local souk, to shop for the ingredients of the traditional dishes you will learn to make later in the day. The souk is a wonder of freshly harvested vegetables, in addition to meat, eggs, honey. You can pick up all staples for daily life here.
You will then travel to an ecological farm, set in the beautiful “Haha“-region 35 km south of Essaouira. This is the land of the Berbers, Morocco’s indigenous population. You will then undertake your cookery class, in an authentic Berber kitchen using traditional utensils, for food preparation. You will be under the supervision of Khadija and her daughter Hafida, two lovely local women. They will show you how they roast & grind barley, to produce the flour & semolina. These are used as the base for traditional flat bread and couscous. You will learn how to bake flat bread in a clay oven, make a traditional tagine of vegetables & goat meat and learn how to steam cook couscous in a traditional clay pot.
Weather permitting, lunch will be served outside, in the beautiful countryside. Following the meal, you can enjoy tea, infused with fresh herbs from the garden. On the way back to Essaouira you will visit an Argan Cooperative, to discover how women produce Argan Oil in a time-honoured tradition. There will also be an opportunity for some oil tasting.
*** During RAMADAN from May 5th until June 6th the cooking class will be shut down. ***
+But you can book a unique experience – Breaking the Fast with a Berber Tribe.
Includes lunch & transport.
Start at 9 am, pick up at the hotel. It will end at approximately 4 pm.
Visit to the local souk is only available on Wednesdays & Thursdays.
Price: 800DH/75€ per person. Kids from 3 to 12 years: half price.
Discover Moroccan Cuisine with a Local>
Try a Cultural & Culinary Tour in Marrakesh
These tours are offered by Marrakesh Culinary Tours. You can join in a group or arrange your own private tour. Discover the tastes of Morocco not just the sights ! Why should you book your Foodie Tour? So you can :
- Discover Marrakesh in a more authentic way – through cultural snapshots, historical notes and local food culture.
- Get insights into how locals start their day and sample foods in an authentic setting outside of your hotel.
- Enjoy delicious food tastings which may include homemade dishes & outstanding street food in the company of a knowledgeable and fun guide.
- Explore Marrakesh with a licensed local guide for a unique culinary and cultural experience.
Included in the Tour:
- Sampling of over 8 different dishes while visiting 5 restaurants only local foodies know about, plus a mint tea ceremony inside a beautiful Riad..
- A tailored food tour to accommodate your needs (Vegetarian, Gluten-free dishes, Argan-based dishes…)..
- Make your own Moroccan salad and kebabs with the help of our tour guide.
- Learn about the Moroccan spices and their different uses and take some home as a gift.
- Try some unheard of Moroccan drinks.
- Walk. Talk. Ask & learn. A fun casual way to sample the sights, sounds and flavors from a cross-section of locally-owned, enthusiastically-operated restaurants in Marrakesh..
- Meet and interact with tourists from all over the world and share experiences and ideas. Groups never exceed 8 people, making it easy to communicate and learn from each other.
- Experience a Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner Tour. Flexible timings & options for bookings.
For further information, inspiration & to book, visit their website www.marrakechculinarytours.com